For more than 175 years, St. Patrick Parish has been a cornerstone of the Catholic faith in Cleveland's West Park community. Established in 1848 by Bishop Amadeus Rappe, the parish was founded to serve the growing Catholic population settling west of Cleveland. Before a church could be built, the faithful gathered for worship in the home of Morgan and Catherine Waters, whose hospitality helped lay the foundation for the parish community.
In 1852, St. Patrick's first church was constructed on Rocky River Drive, followed a year later by the establishment of the parish cemetery. Like many early Catholic communities in Northeast Ohio, St. Patrick Parish was initially served by visiting priests until a resident pastor could be assigned. Through the dedication and perseverance of generations of parishioners, the parish continued to grow alongside the surrounding West Park neighborhood.
Over the decades, St. Patrick Parish has witnessed tremendous growth and change while remaining steadfast in its mission to proclaim the Gospel, celebrate the sacraments, and serve its community. Today, as part of the Two Parishes, One Faith collaborative with St. Vincent de Paul Parish, St. Patrick continues its rich legacy of faith, hospitality, and service, honoring the sacrifices of those who came before while looking forward with hope to the future.
